The mission of Support Siouxland Soldiers is to improve the health and well-being of Siouxland Veterans, caregivers and military families; raise awareness for the unique challenges our Veterans and military families face and engage the Siouxland communities to become active participants in providing support through volunteerism, providing services and sponsoring events. Ultimately we want to prevent any Veteran, caregiver or family member from suffering alone.
The goals of Support Siouxland Soldiers include:
To improve the well-being and quality of life of all Siouxland Veterans, Service member and military families through food assistance, care-packages, support events and peer-to-peer support.
To connect Siouxland Veterans and military families with support resources that provide healthcare, mental healthcare, career assistance, housing assistance, emergency support and resiliency training.
To connect Siouxland Veterans and military families with other military connected individuals and the community.
To engage the Siouxland Communities to actively participate in providing support to our Veterans, caregivers and military families.
The achievements of Support Siouxland Soldiers include:
1.) Served over 3500 hot meals in 2018
2.) Hosted 24 support events in 2018
3.) 5,700 large care-packages filled and shipped to deployed Troops
4.) 150,000 lbs. of groceries distributed
5.) Opened a food pantry and meeting space in 2015
6.) Monthly breakfast and grocery distribution support events
7.) Issued over $85,000 in emergency support grants
8.) Hosted over 250 support events
9.) Served over 12,500 hot meals
For upcoming events and activities, connect with us on Facebook at Support Siouxland Soldiers Subject Line: Volunteer
Veterans and Military families can join our email list to receive event updates. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org Subject Line: Veteran or Military family
Volunteers are needed for each event! Please email email@example.com to join our email list.
Support Siouxland Soldiers was founded in 2007 in Sioux City, IA by Sarah Petersen, Siouxland Military families, Veterans and Security National Bank during the largest deployment of Iowa Troops since WWII. The organization began as a community-wide care-package program. To date Support Siouxland Soldiers has sent over 5,700 care-packages.
In 2010 Support Siouxland Soldiers began hosting support events that served hot meals, distributed groceries and hygiene items and connected Veterans and military families with resources and other military connected individuals. Each year these events now serve over 3500 individuals and require over 4,000 volunteer hours per year.
Support Siouxland Soldiers events and co-sponsored events include:
- Quarterly Honoring All Who Served Supper events
- Monthly breakfast & grocery distribution events
- Holiday Care-pack events
- Annual Holidays for our Heroes event
- Military Ladies Night
- Military Family Valentine Ball
- Military Monster Ball Event
- Battle of the Badges Hockey Tournament and family picnic
- Military Appreciation Night at the Musketeer’s game
- Military Appreciation Night at the Bandits Games
- Military Appreciation Night at Texas Road House
- Softball for Armed Services Tournament, picnic and fundraiser
- Easter Egg Hunt
- Free Fall Festival & Kid’s Carnival at Lakeport Commons
- Scarecrow Farms Pumpkin Patch & Hay Rack Rides
- Family Night at the Ball Park
- Night at the Museum
- Baseball Clinic and Night at the Explorer’s Baseball games
- Nature Youth Camp Day at the Nature Center
- Dinner and a movie Date Nights
- Awesome KIDZ ZONE Night